Saturday, June 20, 2009

First week in Thailand

SawadeeKA! I just wanted a place where I can update my life here in Thailand so you guys can pray for me :)

So the first two days I was basically adjusting to the weather and the time, yes it is very hot. But, when it rains the weather does cool down but you're still sticky :$. But I love Thailand, actually I live in the country by rice patties, its extremely beautiful but it comes with the price of lizards and insects.

A two days ago, I met Dr. Henry, a man from the states who has been a missionary in Thailand for 45 years. THe thai couple i stay with ( Up and Mem) said that if you don't know who Dr. Henry is in Thailand, you arn't a christian, so im happy to have met him :) He is 77 and plans to visit the state for four months and return to thailand to die here, I mean he literally sacrificed his whole life for the gospel and never married. He is fluent in Thai and actually offered me a christian book in Korean, little does he know it would take me 6 months to get through the first page.

The couple I live with is Pi Up and Pi Mem (Pi is used for anyone old enough to be an aunt/uncle or sister/brother). They have been married for a year and are both 27 years old. They are the sweetest and kindest people and I am so blessed to be living with them. Up is still a student at CTS ( the seminary school Pastor Daniel is in charge of) and Mem is a secretary there.

This year is a year of firsts for Up, Mem, and me. This is the first church plant in Sankhampaeng, the first time Up and Mem ever hosted a foreigner, the first time i'll teach without interpreters, the first cell group meetings in this area, and the first time Buddhist monks asked the christians here to teach english! exciting!

Yesterday was our first cell group meeting, and we gathered at Add's house ( a local grandmother) with a few of the people from the area. Add had been feeling as though she was slipping away from her faith and had asked Pastor Daniel to lead weekly meetings. Add's husband is not Christian, so as we walked in the house there was a spirit house outside and pictures and idols around the house. Honestly, the night went so great as we sang songs and heard the word of God. Then, we separated the children and the adults and I was in charge of teaching english to the children. I guess if i could look back i would want to remember the children dancing and singing to the whole song, "nobody," by the korean sensation Wonder Girls with the exact motions (will post up the video when i learn how). The second would be when a girl asked me if Jesus died, and I said yes and told them he then rose from the dead. The children were mortified, and honestly looked terrified! I felt so bad! Its because thai people really have a fear about ghosts, Mem had to fix the situation by saying that it was ok because Jesus is God.
ok ill post more later i have to go

2 comments:

  1. haha, jesus ghost! holy ghost! holy spirit. it's okay.

    exciting stuff though, i can't wait till i'm there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Grace... let me know if you need any care packages.

    ReplyDelete